Here at the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA), we are passionate about our mission of “Serving Those Who Served.” As a national leader in our advocacy for more than 500,000 veterans and their family members, we strive to connect them to earned benefits as well as innovative programs focused on their overall health and wellness. In addition, we provide critical community services through a variety of programs, and at our four State Veterans Homes located in Orting, Port Orchard, Spokane, and Walla Walla. These locations provide Medicare and Medicaid nursing home care to honorably discharged veterans, including, in some instances, their spouses, widows, or Gold Star.
The Spokane Veteran’s Home in beautiful Eastern Washington is looking to hire an exceptional and compassionate leader for their Director of Nursing Services role. In this position, you will be promoting quality care of our veteran residents through open communication, participative leadership, and educated decision making. Managing the nursing services of this home encompasses being an empathetic leader to 108 employees and 100 residents, assuring that through direct supervision and program management that we are successful in meeting individual and medical standards of care. Additionally, you will be working cooperatively with the facility’s Medical Director, other Homes across the state, our Central office, and other outside service and treatment providers. If you are looking for rewarding and challenging work, apply today to join our team!
- Plan, lead, organize, and control work performed by the Spokane Veteran Home Nursing Services. Assuring appropriate and optimum use of the organization’s resources (budget and staff included). Enhancing the proficiency and effectiveness of employees through timely appraisal, training, coaching and counseling, and professional development opportunities.
- Supports effective communications, verbal and written, throughout the organization.
- Maintains high standards of personal, professional, and ethical conduct, through the support of creating a diverse workforce, effective and collaborative working relationships with external and internal stakeholders, and fostering a respectful work environment.
- Oversee and assure the development and implementation of policies and procedures necessary to provide structure for nursing and health care programs.
- Plan for needs and improvements of nursing and health care programs with the assistance of medical staff and representatives of other disciplines.
- Participate in total facility program planning and development for optimum operation of interrelated functions.
- Direct, supervise, and select nursing personnel for promotion, development, mentoring, and coaching to promote exceptional job performance, results, and accountability among staff. Facilitate and champion nursing mentorship and growth, including compliance with contractual requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of the biennial budget relative to requirements for nursing and health services, objectives, and obligations.
- Prepare reports, memoranda, directives, and answer correspondence pertaining to the welfare of residents and the business of the nursing department.
- And much more!
- Valid Washington State Nursing License
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, public administration, law, public health, health administration, nursing or related field.
- Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
- Five years of long-term care experience.
- Experience and skills in principles of management and supervision of professional and paraprofessional staff.
- Knowledge of LTC regulations, including DSHS and VA requirements.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Skilled in the principles of management and supervision.
- Mental health concepts
- Geriatric nursing standards
- Infection control and quality assurance
- Staff development and training
- Principles of labor relations, civil service, and personnel administration.
- Effective communication through various mediums and to a wide audience
- Understand and perform mathematical computations
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Problem solving skills in developing solutions for unanticipated issues and challenges
- Ability to understand and apply organization theories and practices in the administration of policies, practices, programs, and communications.
- Ability to calm others under stress or in confrontational conditions.
- Good computer skills
- Models our mission, vision and values.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described below.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
Finalists will be asked to provide a list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader), state employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation. Please reach out to the HR Office at HR@dva.wa.gov if you need information on medical or religious accommodation.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Must comply with health screening requirements by undergoing a tuberculosis skin test.
- Positions requiring travel must have a valid unrestricted driver's license and must be insured if driving a privately owned vehicle on state business.
- Candidates who are offered a job with WDVA must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.