Please Note: This position is considered on-call; shifts will vary.
Here at the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA), we are passionate about our mission of “Serving Those Who Served.” As a national leader in our advocacy for more than 500,000 veterans and their family members, we strive to connect them to earned benefits as well as innovative programs focused on their overall health and wellness. In addition, we provide critical community services through a variety of programs, and at our four State Veterans Homes located in Orting, Port Orchard, Spokane, and Walla Walla. These locations provide Medicare and Medicaid nursing home care to honorably discharged veterans, including, in some instances, their spouses, widows, or Gold Star.
We are seeking a highly skilled and compassionate on-call Licensed Practical Nurse 2 to provide nursing related care and services within our Washington Veterans Home. This includes monitoring and recording all aspects of care, passing medications, administering oxygen, suctioning and providing trach care, irrigations, colostomy care, feeding tubes, dressing changes and treatments, etc.
Your role will be critical in ensuring our residents are treated with dignity and respect and have care suited to their personal needs. Join our mission by applying now!
Some of what you'll be doing includes:
- Preparing, evaluating, and revising treatment plans for individual residents based on personal observations and recommendations of physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and/or other nurses.
- Passing medications, administering, monitoring, and recording treatments.
- Assessing resident's conditions, including skin assessments; may also suction patients, administer oxygen, catheterization, irrigation and administering IV solutions.
- Assisting with routine rehabilitative and maintenance care.
- Recording actions and findings in medical charts.
- Adhering to infection control procedures; maintaining safe and sanitary environment.
- Assisting with positioning, transferring and ambulation of residents.
- Valid Washington State license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Capable of lifting up to 60 lbs using proper techniques.
- Accurate methods of nursing and restorative care; personal hygiene and sanitation methods, record keeping, report preparation, infection control procedures and residents rights.
- Able to assess, evaluate, and participate in the development of appropriate plans of care. Plan, implement and document appropriate discharge planning for residents when appropriate. Perform selected nursing procedures.
- Able to speak, read and write in English for medical charts; perform data entry; maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Long term care experience.
- One year of experience as an LPN.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described below.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
Finalists will be asked to provide a list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader), state employees must be fully vaccinated no later than October 18, 2021. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation. Please reach out to the HR Office at HR@dva.wa.gov if you need information on medical or religious accommodation.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Must comply with health screening requirements by undergoing a tuberculosis skin test.
- Positions requiring travel must have a valid unrestricted driver's license and must be insured if driving a privately owned vehicle on state business.
- This position is represented by WFSE.
- Candidates who are offered a job with WDVA must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.