(3) Patient Care Tech - Anacostia Clinic (M-F 8a-8:30p/Sat 8a-4:30) *CNA Cert Required, Any State* - (190000LL)
Children’s National Health System, based in Washington, DC, has been serving the nation’s children since 1870. Children’s National is ranked in the top 20 in every specialty evaluated by U.S. News & World Report; one of only four children’s hospitals in the nation to earn this distinction. Designated a Leapfrog Group Top Hospital and a two-time recipient of Magnet® status, this pediatric academic health system offers expert care through a convenient, community-based primary care network and specialty outpatient centers. Home to the Children’s Research Institute and the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, Children’s National is one of the nation’s top NIH-funded pediatric institutions. Children’s National is recognized for its expertise and innovation in pediatric care and as a strong voice for children through advocacy at the local, regional and national levels.
Children's National is the leading provider of pediatric care in the Washington, DC, area. Our team of 6,000+ employees provides world-class care in a warm and caring environment designed with kids in mind. Children’s National is a Magnet® designated hospital and is consistently ranked among the best pediatric hospitals in America by U.S.News and World Report.
We’re more than just a hospital; we’re a health system for kids. From our main hospital to our outpatient centers and primary care facilities, we are dedicated to serving children’s health needs in any illness or injury.
Our Anacostia Clinic seeks experienced CNA or EMT candidates with at least 1-2 years of experience.
The Ambulatory Patient Care Tech will work in collaboration with the multidisciplinary health care delivery team under the direction of the Registered Nurse, to perform basic nursing care activities, assist to maintain a safe, clean, stocked patient care setting, assist staff members and help direct patient flow.
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
experience in an acute health care setting–preferably pediatrics (Required)
pediatric experience in ambulatory or acute care health setting. (Preferred)
1. Collect data and accurately document information for meaningful use including the chief complaint, current medications, allergies tobacco/smoking history and smoke exposure for all patients as reported by family; accurately obtain vital signs (TPR, BP), height, weight and head circumference; orient the family at the time of the visit to the clinic environment, paperwork, etc.
2. Recognize abnormalities and report such to the Registered Nurse or Provider; assist in screening patients for pain using appropriate pain scale; recognize indicators of abuse and neglect and escalate positive findings to the Registered Nurse or Provider; recognize and remain with any child in distress, immediately institute Basic Life Support procedures when necessary; escalate any of the above to Registered Nurse or Provider for positive screen.
3. Provide basic nursing care (e.g., provide nourishment, assist patient with ambulating, escort patient at time of discharge, etc.).
4. Check and ensure all relevant equipment such as, but not limited to, scales, stadiometers, vital signs machines, otoscopes and
5. ophthalmoscopes, oxygen and suction are in working order; performs corrective actions as needed and/or informs the Registered Nurse or appropriate person of repair needs.
6. Collect specimens for testing according to policy and procedure and/or perform specific testing per individual clinic assignment including but not limited to POCT , lab draws as applicable to setting.
7. Inform patient/guardian of collection process according to procedure; inform family of other clinical resources; offer brochures for specific health care needs of the family.
8. Meet Joint Commission/DOH documentation requirements for clinic area.
9. Complete clean sweep tool weekly.
Patient Flow and Unit Efficiency
1. Help maintain a neat orderly environment.
2. Assist with the preparation of the exam room to receive patients.
3. Prioritize tasks and special requests; complete all tasks or report the inability to complete the task
4. Obtain equipment and supplies and maintain PAR levels.
5. Monitor waiting room and ensure families are kept informed of delays; provide directions to lab, radiology, cafeteria, etc.
6. Identify children/families with special needs (i.e., child on stretcher , oxygen use, patient requiring isolation).
1. Contribute to a positive work environment.
2. Confer with appropriate personnel concerning unanticipated or unfamiliar problems.
3. Greet patient/family and recognize different levels of education and adjust to meet the families’ needs; address families’ anxiety level; adapt to different personalities and emotions; monitor and report concerns or complaints to the Clinic Manager.
4. and maintain a courteous, calm, comforting, and professional demeanor with patient/guardian and with multidisciplinary team members and clinic personnel.
1. Perform, evaluate and report QC protocol; identify and resolve QC failures; document resolutions; report problems to main lab and/or supervisory staff.
2. Participate in continuing education opportunities available internally and/or externally; perform competency and proficiency challenges in a timely manner .
3. Process specimens by centrifugation, aliquoting and sorting into specific test areas and for storage; coordinate the pick-up and delivery of specimens for Children’s Hospita, Quest and/or other reference labs; troubleshoot specimen-processing procedures.
4. Investigate and handle improperly labeled specimens, requisition problems and inadequate specimens.
5. Answer general information and specimen requirement questions and route technical questions to appropriate area for answers.
6. Monitor and maintain daily records of laboratory equipment as required; maintain simple laboratory equipment and notify main lab and/or supervisor of unresolved problems; order routine lab/POCT inventory and supplies.
7. Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary method; conduct assigned routine laboratory tests such as urine dipstick, glucose, A1C.
1. Follow directions precisely and maintain confidentiality .
2. Attend in-services; be active in personal educational development; develops annual goals and a personal education program with the
3. Supervisor; completes CHEX requirements.
4. Maintains satisfactory time and attendance.
5. Completes all Occupational Health requirements per policy and procedure
6. Completes/maintains certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
7. Completes/maintains any certification or licensure as required by individual practice jurisdiction ( i.e. DC, Maryland, Virginia)
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
Organizational Commitment/Identification 1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
Teamwork/Communication 1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility 1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Safety 1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Goldberg - MLK 3029 MLK Jr Avenue SE Washington 20032
Organization: Goldberg Cntr Cmnty Ped HlthRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: VariableWork Schedule: Mon-Thurs 8a-8:30pm Fri-Sat 8a-4:30pm
Job Posting: Aug 17, 2021, 9:02:31 AM