RN Interventional Radiology Nurse (Days, Tues - Fri) - (210002AP)
The Interventional Radiology Registered Nurse is responsible for independently planning, coordinating, and directing nursing care for assigned patients. The RN will assist the physician in caring for pediatric patients with undergoing conscious sedation and monitoring patients undergoing interventional procedures.
Children’s National interventional radiologists perform a full range of minimally invasive, image-guided procedures to both diagnose and treat disease in infants, children, and adolescents. The best available quality of care is made possible by a dedicated team of interventional radiologists, radiologic technicians, registered nurses, physician assistants, clinical coordinators, and anesthesiologists. We also are at the forefront of research in minimally invasive diagnostics and therapy through the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, where we are working on enhancing local drug delivery techniques in cancer and thrombosis as well as evaluating the role of magnetic resonance (MR)- guided high intensity focused ultrasound to treat pediatric soft tissue and bone tumors.
Children’s experts perform a number of procedures, including:
· Balloon G Tube
· Balloon G-J Tube
· Cecostomy Tube
· Central Line
· Dialysis Fistula or Graft Intervention
· Esophageal Dilation
· Joint Injections
· Lumbar Puncture
· Magnetic Resonance (MR)-guided High Intensity Focused Ultrasound
· Nephrostomy Tube
· Percutaneous Transhepatic Cholangiography
· Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter
· Radiofrequency Ablation
Radiology Sedation Nursing encompasses the care of the patient and family/legal guardian. Pre-sedation, sedation, monitoring, and post sedation services are provided to care for a range of ages from infants to adults. The Radiology Sedation Nurse is responsible for the sedation needs of the patient in collaboration with anesthesiologists and radiologists. In addition to the sedation activities, the radiology sedation nurses care for the acute and critically ill patient population during radiology exams and procedures and collaboration with the radiology team to facilitate patient flow through the scheduled exams or procedures. Patient care activities include peripheral and central line access, Contrast administration, urinary catheterizations, assessing/triaging phone consults and requests, pre-procedure patient and family education and support during the exam or procedure. The radiology teams welcome the nursing lead on safety and emergency equipment checks and regulatory compliance responsibilities.
Qualifications Minimum Education
Bachelor's Degree Graduated from an approved school of nursing. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year In the field of ICU, ED or an area with sedation activities. (Required)
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia (Required)Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS) (Required)
Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) (Required)
- Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent involvement or leadership in: committees, task forces and/or community outreach.
- Role model critical thinking skills by problem-solving patient care and unit/system issues.
- Communication reflects development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients’ needs; makes suggestions for resolution of system issues.
- Role model procedures for escalation of issues; utilize chain of command.
- Demonstrate proper use of identified hand off processes; follow up on inconsistent practice related to handoff.
- Demonstrate a collegial and respectful relationship with peers, physicians and other departments.
- Take the lead in implementing change and support management decisions.
- Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
- Independently leads the patient care sedation activities to ensure patient safety during the radiology exam or procedure.
- Independently maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS.
- Initiate professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
- Engage in active review of peers giving constructive feedback through timely participation in evaluations.
- Role model adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; champion advancement of education and certification.
- Orchestrate involvement of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with co-workers.
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Serve as a resource as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
- Analyze assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of database and plan of care within identified timeframes working in collaboration with the radiology and anesthesia teams.
- Role model excellent clinical skills with complex patients; care reflects analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions related to sedation activities and recovery phases.
- Direct prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs to include the outpatient population, the acute care patients, critically ill patients, and the Emergency Department patients.
- Documentation exemplifies adherence to the highest standards of practice.
- Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs; verify with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
- Excel in organizational skills, adjust for changes and be able to complete assignment on time to facilitate the scheduled patients efficiently.
- Role model caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
- Communication and education to patients and families reflects clear expectations of expected outcomes during the pre-sedation, sedation, and post-sedation activities.
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
- Communication and education to patients and families reflects clear expectations of expected outcomes during the scheduled radiology exam or procedure.
- Initiate ways to improve operations through quality improvement and implement related solutions.
- Serve as a resource for current, new information or changes in specialty area.
- Care incorporates best practices based on benchmarks and evidence within the literature.
- Participates in a Professional Organization related to sedation, radiology, and/or pediatric nursing.
- Mentor and precept new nurses in clinical specialties.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
Organizational AccountabilitiesOrganizational Commitment/Identification
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: COE Hospital-Based SpecliatiesRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: DayWork Schedule: Four Tens Days (Tues - Fri)
Job Posting: Jul 29, 2021, 12:03:06 PM