RN PICU Shift Coordinator (7a-7:30p) - (210002DI)
The Shift Coordinator, on a shift to shift basis, directs the activities of and/or participates as a member of the patient care delivery team. In collaboration with unit leadership, participates in planning, managing and evaluating unit based clinical care and ensuring that continuity of care is maintained.
The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) recently awarded the Children's National Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with a silver-level Beacon Award for Excellence. The three-year award marks an important milestone on the path to exceptional patient care and achieving a healthy work environment. The silver-level designation signifies continuous learning and effective systems to achieve optimal patient care and shows alignment practices with AACN's six Healthy Work Environment Standards.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) is a 50 bed unit. This unit serves as a regional referral center and is a designated Level I Trauma Center for comprehensive care to pediatric patients and their families. The PICU Patient Care Management Team coordinates interdisciplinary patient assessment and patient care and provided by pediatric intensivists and specialty nurses in conjunction with multiple specialty services within the Medical Center. Patients are admitted to the PICU from the ED, Trauma Services, the Operating Room, and transfers from in-house units as well as transports from other institutions via the Pediatric Transport team.
Trauma patients comprise about 10%-15% of patients in the PICU. These patients often have multiple injuries or severe head trauma. The PICU is also a Pediatric Burn Center and receives referrals from the region. Other complex patients requiring general surgery, ENT, craniofacial, neurosurgical and other surgical subspecialties are also cared for in the PICU. Medical patients comprise 50%-60% of patients and include children with respiratory failure, meningitis or seizures, sepsis, multi-system organ failure and chronically ill children. Children with cancer also require PICU care for complications that develop as part of the underlying disease, chemotherapy or following bone marrow transplantation. Services are provided daily, 24 hours per day.
All nursing practice is based on the legal scope of practice, national and specialty nursing standards, CNMC Policies and Procedures, and in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The Professional Model of Care requires registered professional nurses to be responsible and accountable for their own practice. CNMC supports the development of RN relationships within the community; specifically those relationships associated with the health and well being of the community at large.
Qualifications Minimum Education
Bachelor's Degree (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
2 years Nursing experience. (Required)
1 year Recent pediatric experience in a comparable setting. (Required)
The Shift Coordinator, will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at CNMC.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia .
- Participate/support Shared Leadership.
- Contribute to CNMC’s Magnet Journey.
- Ensure that nursing is based on evidence of best practice.
- Accountable for supporting/participating in the Division of Nursing’s Performance Improvement process.
Participates in Assessment, Planning, and Implementation of Nursing Process
- Participate in community activities.
- Continuously perform patient/family assessments as necessary to ensure needs are met.
- Assess and modify skill mix and staffing levels using manager or clinical coordinator for complex issues.
- Function as a resource in planning patient discharge and all clinical issues.
Demonstrates Ability to Communicate Effectively
- Utilize multidisciplinary approach to meeting patient care needs.
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills by adopting techniques for specific situations.
- Provide performance feedback to all staff in a constructive, timely manner.
- Effectively manage conflict resolution.
- Serve as consumer advocate for patient/family concerns.
- Facilitate learning opportunities for all staff.
- Ensure that patient/family educational needs are met.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
- Demonstrate awareness of cost containment strategies by efficiently planning staffing patterns, level and mix to meet patient care needs.
- Ensure staff adherence to unit/hospital policies.
- Participate in the performance appraisal process for all staff.
- Implement change with a positive impact.
- Display strong leadership in a team environment through example.
- Demonstrate initiatives and leadership through involvement in projects and committee work.
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: Patient ServicesRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: DayWork Schedule: 7p-7a EOW
Job Posting: Aug 3, 2021, 1:42:41 PM