Specific Requirements and Preferences
Graduated from an approved school of nursing. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
At least 2 years of hematology/oncology/BMT experience (Required)
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Req
Chemo and Biotherapy Management
1. Administrate chemo/biotherapy, independently and safely.
2. Handle and dispose of hazardous drugs, safely.
3. Be aware of risk factors and make clear decisions based on risk.
4. Communicate clearly with patients and families.
5. Manage care of patient with multiple types of central lines. (broviacs, port-a-cath, PICC lines, etc), independently.
6. Clinical resource for central lines and chemo/biotherapy to clinical area of the hospital that do not routinely care for these.
7. Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent updating of professional profile and initiation of council involvement, committees, task forces and/or community outreach.
1. Communicate to reflect development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients' needs.
2. Independently initiate escalation of issues utilizing chain of command.
3. Show proper use of the currently identified hand off processes.
4. Show a collegial and respectful relationship with healthcare team.
5. Participate to implement change and support management decisions.
6. Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
1. Maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS, independently.
2. Plan for attendance at mandatory education and professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
3. Model professional review of peers through timely participation in evaluations.
4. Seek out opportunities to participate in enhancing departmental goals by ensuring adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; support advancement of education and certification as well.
5. Collaborate with members of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with coworkers.
6. Utilize resources as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
1. Utilize assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of data base and plan of care within identified timeframes.
2. Model clinical skills with complex patients that reflect analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions.
3. Role model skill in prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs.
4. Documentation exemplifies adherence to the highest standards of practice.
5. Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs verified with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
6. Role model organizational skills, adjust for changes and is able to complete assignment on time.
7. Model caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
1. Identify ways to improve operations through quality improvement and assist in implementation of solutions.
2. Identify self learning needs and take initiative to meet those needs.
3. Ensure care is based on evidence with the literature and benchmarking.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance