Licensed Practical Nurse 2
Full TIme, Permanent
Washington Soldiers Home
We are so pleased to announce that we have an opening for a Licensed Practical Nurse 2, Full Time, Permanent, here at our beautiful Washington Soldiers Home, in Orting, Washington!Please note: The expected shift will be 6:00 am to 2:30 pm, Friday through Tuesday.
Here at the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA), we are passionate about our mission of “Serving Those Who Served.” As a national leader in our advocacy for more than 500,000 veterans and their family members, we strive to connect them to earned benefits as well as innovative programs focused on their overall health and wellness. In addition, we provide critical community services through a variety of programs, and at our four State Veterans Homes located in Orting, Port Orchard, Spokane, and Walla Walla. These locations provide Medicare and Medicaid nursing home care to honorably discharged veterans, including, in some instances, their spouses, widows, or Gold Star.
We are now accepting applications for a highly skilled and compassionate Full Time Licensed Practical Nurse 2 to provide nursing related care and services within our Washington Veterans Home. This includes monitoring and recording all aspects of care, passing medications, administering oxygen, suctioning and providing trach care, irrigations, colostomy care, feeding tubes, dressing changes and treatments, etc.
Your role will be critical in ensuring our residents are treated with dignity and respect and have care suited to their personal needs. Join our mission by applying now!
Some of what you'll be doing includes:
- Passing or administering medications; monitoring, and recording treatments.
- Suctioning patients, administering oxygen, catheterization, irrigation and administering IV solutions, providing colostomy and trach care, maintaining gastric feeding tubes and pumps, dressing changes and treatments sterile and non-sterile.
- Treating minor ailments such as headaches, stomach aches, colds, influenza, cuts and scratches.
- Responding to call lights, emergencies and facility codes.
- Recording actions and findings in medical charts.
- Adhering to infection control procedures; maintaining safe and sanitary environment.
- Assisting with positioning, transferring and ambulation of residents.
- Providing input on performance of Nursing Assistants; training NACs to established standards.
- Valid Washington State license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- One year of experience as an LPN.
- Able to speak, read and write in English for medical charts; perform data entry.
- Able to assess, evaluate, and participate in the development of appropriate plans of care. Plan, implement and document appropriate discharge planning for residents when appropriate. Perform selected nursing procedures.
- Understanding of accurate methods of nursing and restorative care; personal hygiene and sanitation methods, record keeping, report preparation, infection control procedures and residents rights.
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described below.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
Finalists will be asked to provide a list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.1, state employees must be fully vaccinated. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Must comply with health screening requirements by undergoing a tuberculosis skin test and remain current in CPR after hire.
- Requires medical evaluation, fit testing, training and use of respiratory protection as required by the WA Industrial Safety & Act standards.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds and capable of reaching a minimum of 36” using proper techniques for resident repositioning or access to supplies. Capable of pushing or pulling with sufficient strength. Employee must be able to walk, sit, and bend in an unrestricted manner on a consistent basis during the entire work day.
- This position is represented by WFSE.
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.