Please Note: This recruitment will be used to fill multiple part-time positions. The anticipated shifts will be:
- Evening: Friday - Sunday 2:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. | Days Off: Monday - Thursday
Here at the Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA), we are passionate about our mission of “Serving Those Who Served.” As a national leader in our advocacy for more than 500,000 veterans and their family members, we strive to connect them to earned benefits as well as innovative programs focused on their overall health and wellness. In addition, we provide critical community services through a variety of programs, and at our four State Veterans Homes located in Orting, Port Orchard, Spokane, and Walla Walla. These locations provide Medicare and Medicaid nursing home care to honorably discharged veterans, including, in some instances, their spouses, widows, or Gold Star.As a part-time Nursing Assistant Certified, you'll assist in the delivery of nursing and nursing related care to vulnerable veterans in need of skilled nursing care. You'll have the ability to lend direction to your patients as well as a caring attitude. Bring a smile and your vital knowledge to everyone, every day. Connect with your goals and change lives by applying now!
Some of what you'll be doing includes:
- Assisting residents with positioning, transferring and ambulation; ensuring a safe and secure work environment, including preventative infection control methods.
- Responding to call lights, internal and external emergencies, and facility codes.
- Recording care, vital signs and observations.
- Assisting residents with personal clothing, belongings and equipment; bathing, dressing, grooming, hygiene, etc.
- Assisting with therapies and treatment under the direction of licensed personnel; motion exercises as needed.
- Accurately obtaining, recording vital signs and other resident data; documenting intake/output records.
- Performing basic nursing procedures such as applying anti-embolism stockings, applying creams or lotions, collecting specimens, etc.
- Valid Washington State license to practice as a Nursing Assistant Certified.
- Ability to speak, read and write in the English language for medical charts and to perform data entry.
- Current active status on OBRA (Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act).
Check out this awesome video here to see what it is like to work for the WDVA!
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described below.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
Finalists will be asked to provide a list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14.1, state employees must be fully vaccinated. Your vaccine status will be verified at New Employee Orientation.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Must comply with health screening requirements by undergoing a tuberculosis skin test and remain current in CPR after hire.
- Requires medical evaluation, fit testing, training and use of respiratory protection as required by the WA Industrial Safety & Act Standards.
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs; capable of reaching, pushing and pulling with sufficient strength.
- Positions requiring travel must have a valid unrestricted driver's license and must be insured if driving a privately owned vehicle on state business.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
Applicants wishing to claim Veterans Preference should attach a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22, or signed verification of service letter from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to their application. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.