Apr 09, 2020
Children's National Medical Center
Washington, DC, USA
Unit Support Associate FT (direct 1:1 observation of patients) must be available to do all shifts D/E/N - 7 East Medical - (19000239)
Description 7 East Medical Care Unit is an exciting and challenging fast-paced, 38-bed, acute care unit that provides multidisciplinary family centered care to acute and chronically ill infants, children, adolescents, and young adults with a wide variety of medical and nursing needs. 7 East is the first choice unit for patients with cystic fibrosis, diabetes, metabolic disorders, asthma, and many other general medical disorders.
7 East is a dynamic unit with an innovative and multidisciplinary approach to the delivery of patient care. We value life-long learning, and continuously reflect on our practices, staff development, and patient outcomes to ensure that we consistently provide high quality and safe patient care.
In collaboration with and under the supervision of a Registered Nurse the Unit Support Associate will assist in activities directly related to the care of patients and operation of the unit. This will include but is not limited to providing direct 1:1 observation of patients related to safety or behavioral issues. Support the unit function by assisting in the maintenance of supplies, operations
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Previous pediatric or child care experience (Preferred)
Basic computer skills preferred
knowledge of child development preferred
Maintain Patient Safety
1. Maintain environmental safety through room sweep and checklist
2. Adhere to principles of pediatric safety through use of handrails, seat belts and direct observation.
3. Never leave patient unattended
4. Intervene quickly to calm, redirect, reorient patient, or guide patient to prevent harm to self or others.
5. Remain in patient room unless relieved by nurse or another Unit support associate
6. Accompany patient for any procedures off the unit
Meet/Satisfy Patient Needs
1. Engage patient in distracting, age appropriate goal oriented behavior, provide activities and conversations that are distracting and therapeutic (discuss with bedside RN)
2. Reinforces positive behavior
3. Assist with linen changes and room stocking
4. Assist in activities of daily living, including but not limited to washing, toileting, position changes and assistance with meals
5. Maintain universal precautions
6. Assist with providing breaks as directed by Charge Nurse
Maintain a Clean and Safe Environment
1. Keep room clean and tidy
2. Maintain a calm environment
3. When not responsible for direct patient observation stock unit, nurse servers, carts etc as directed by charge nurse.
4. Monitor common unit areas for cleanliness, stock par levels and supplies
5. Reports safety hazards to staff i.e. broken furniture/broken equipment
6. Assist in a variety of unit support activities as directed by Charge Nurse i.e. room set up, answer call bells, customer service activities.
Effective Communication with Other Staff
1. Reports pertinent patient information and call for assistance if the patient develops destructive behaviors i.e. pulling lines.
2. With RN establishes priorities for individual patient communicates with team members in establishing priority tasks.
3. Maintains regular communication with RN related to assigned duties and patient behavior; preforms activities within prescribed scope, seeks clarification when needed
4. Immediately report escalating behaviors to RN
5. Confers with RN when confronted with unfamiliar patient care issue.
6. Ensure information sharing when handing off to new Safety attendant
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
Organizational Commitment/Identification 1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
Teamwork/Communication 1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility 1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Safety 1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: Patient ServicesRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: VariableWork Schedule: Day/Eve rotating-8 hour shifts - every other wknd
Job Posting: Dec 30, 2019, 8:09:15 AM