RN PACU Nurse PRN (Peds PACU Experience Required) - (200000M1)
Services at the main hospital campus is equipped and available to provide 24
hours a day, seven days a week surgical care.
Perioperative Services Department consists of the following areas:
• Surgery Preparation
• Operating Rooms (17 O.R.’s and 2
• Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU-12
prep and 35 post anesthesia bays)
• Sterile Processing Department (SPD)
• Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) in
our delivery of care we aim for quality healthcare that is: patient centered,
safe, timely, efficient, equitable, and effective. The department is engaged in
quality, performance improvement and research to provide care that has the
patient and family in mind.
Services’ mission is facilitated through a culture of safety. The focus of care
is on the patient, family, and the environment. The department strives for an
environment that enables the provision for safe patient care, excellence in
performance, improvement in our process, and positive health outcomes.
National surgery center performs nearly 17,000 procedures each year on infants,
children and adolescents, including kidney transplants, scoliosis, hernia
repairs, and procedures to treat disorders and abnormalities of the esophagus
and trachea. Other special services include corneal implants and cataract
surgeries, and we specialize in cochlear implant for the ear. Children’s
surgeons perform laser surgery and employ many types of minimally invasive
techniques such as laparoscopy and thoracoscopy.
National has a world-class team of pediatric surgeons, anesthesiologists,
nurses, and support staff who have developed a variety of programs designed
with children in mind. One of our newest additions is the DaVinci robot and MRI
Qualifications Minimum Education
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Graduated from an approved school of nursing. (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
RN experience (Required)
The licensed Registered Nurse will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at Children’s National.
Keep knowledge base current with new information or changes in specialty area.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Registered Nurse licensed in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia dependent upon location of practice. Req
1. Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent updating of professional profile and initiation of council involvement, committees, task forces and /or community outreach.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking skills by problem solving appropriately during patient care.
3. Communicate to reflect development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients’ needs.
4. Independently initiate escalation of issues utilizing chain of command.
5. Demonstrate proper use of the currently identified hand off processes.
6. Demonstrate a collegial and respectful relationship with ancillary staff.
7. Participate in implementing change and support management decisions.
8. Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
1. Independently maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS.
2. Plan for attendance at mandatory education and professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
3. Demonstrate professional review of peers through timely participation in evaluations.
4. Seek out opportunities to participate in enhancing departmental goals by ensuring adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; support advancement of education and certification as well.
5. Collaborate with members of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with coworkers.
6. Utilize resources as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
Exemplary Professional Practice
1. Utilize assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of data base and plan of care within identified timeframes.
2. Demonstrate clinical skills with complex patients that reflect analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions.
3. Role model skill in prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs.
4. Documentation exemplifies adherence to the highest standards of practice.
5. Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs verified with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
6. Role model organizational skills, adjust for changes and is able to complete assignment on time.
7. Demonstrate caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
1. Identify ways to improve operations through quality improvement and assist in implementation of solutions.
2. Identify self learning needs and take initiative to meet those needs.
3. Ensure care is based on evidence with the literature and benchmarking
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: Surgery COERegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: O - PRNShift: DayWork Schedule: Day
Job Posting: Mar 2, 2020, 7:43:53 AM