The Monkeypoxvirus has been spreading worldwide in the past months and has been reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) that since may 13, 2022, multiple cases from 28 member states across four WHO regions (Regions of the Americas, European, Eastern Mediterranean and Western Pacific Regions) where Monkeypoxvirus isnt reported. Since the beggining of these year, 1536 suspected cases were reported from eight countries in the WHO African region, of which 59 cases have been confirmed and 72 deaths reported.
While investigations are still ongoing, most cases in the newly affected countries are highly affected by sexual health even though the patients did not have direct immediate travel links to the areas where Monkeypox have long been experienced.
Though there is an outbreak, WHO assesses the risk as moderate to the global level considering the wide spread to new areas not common to tge virus.
For comparison of the June 4, 2022 report where 780 cases were reported, on June 8, 1285 confirmed laboratory cases has been reported to the WHO from 28 countries in four WHO regions where Monkeypox is not usually present. This represents 505 confirmed laboratory cases increase.
The data below shows the cases per region:
- WHO European Region- 1112 cases (87%)
- Americas- 153
- Eastern Mediterranean- 14
- Western Pacific- 6
If ever you see a rash that looks like Monkeypox, you should talk to your healthcare provider even if you think you havnt had contact with someone who has the virus.
People who have higher of having the virus are:
- Had contact with someone who had a rash that looks like Monkeypoxor someone diagnosed with monkeypox.
- Had skin-to-skin contact with someone experiencing Monkeypoxactivity, this includes sexual contacts.
- Traveled to another country with confirmed cases of Monkeypox.
- Had contact with a dead or live wild animal or exotic pet that exists only in Africa or used a product derived from such animals.
The Monkeypox situation is still evolving and WHO expects more cases to be reported as surveillance widens in all regions.